Dale Nally Highlights Alberta as a Superior Alternatives for Operators Amid Ontario’s Gaming Shift

(AsiaGameHub) –   Hon. Dale Nally—who’s leading Canada’s push to make Alberta the country’s second province with regulated gaming—conveyed a simple message: there’s no better place than Alberta.

Addressing attendees at the SBC Summit Canada, Nally—Alberta’s Minister of Service and Red Tape Reduction—assured that the province will be an ideal match for operators as its gaming market prepares to launch on July 13.

He told attendees: “We’ve cut red tape, created a business-friendly atmosphere, and maintained low corporate taxes—you can’t ask for more. So if you enjoyed your time operating in Ontario, you’ll absolutely love what Alberta has to offer.”

A new chapter for Alberta

For many operators gearing up for the launch, parts of Alberta’s market will feel familiar, as the province has adopted much of its framework from Ontario’s successful model—one that generated over CA$4 billion (£2.1 billion) in revenue last year.

Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis (AGLC) will oversee the market as its regulator, just like Ontario’s regulator, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario. Additionally, the Alberta iGaming Corporation (AiGC) has been established to function as an independent conduct and management body, similar to iGaming Ontario.

The AiGC recently announced that interim Chief Executive Officer Dan Keene will take on the position permanently, leveraging his prior experience as the Director of Gaming Business at the AGLC and his time at Century Casino and Molson Canada.

Nally stressed that when it came to legislating gambling, policymakers didn’t try to reinvent the wheel—instead, they actively looked to other markets to see what was effective.

“We looked at what’s being done in the UK, and we admire the protections they have in place,” he noted.

“I also want to commend the Ontario team—they’ve done an excellent job launching a responsible gambling marketplace that’s safer and more accountable. We’ve drawn heavily from their experience for our plans in Alberta.”

Player protection will be front and centre

While Nally acknowledged that he’d shut down online gambling entirely if he could, he explained that the push for regulation stemmed from the realization that Albertans were already participating in iGaming—so it needed to be brought under government oversight.

Key regulations for the new market focus on social responsibility and player safety, including strict rules on advertising scope. Alberta players will also have access to a province-wide self-exclusion register, plus tools to set financial and time limits on their gaming.

“We want gambling to be as safe and responsible as it can be—and that’s only achievable in a regulated setting,” he stated.

“We want self-exclusion to be as straightforward as possible so that those who choose it can’t take part in gambling activities. We know that when people reach a low point, they’re ready to quit—but the days after can be tough. A system-wide self-exclusion program makes it easier for those dealing with problematic gambling behaviour to get the support they need.”

Striking a balance

Alberta is known as one of North America’s most business-friendly regions, thanks to a younger population drawn to the province by its thriving oil and gas sector.

These traits make Alberta an appealing option for potential operators, and Nally highlighted that the same business-focused mindset guided the market’s development.

As the Minister responsible for cutting red tape, he reassured stakeholders that Alberta didn’t overdo it with the requirements imposed on the industry.

He said: “We had to find that middle ground because governments often get overzealous and want to regulate every detail. That’s not our approach.

“We want light-touch regulation and an easy entry process for our market. It won’t be the wild west—far from it—but we believe it’ll be a straightforward place for operators to join, and it’ll be done responsibly.”

According to Nally, 37 operators have already paid their required registration fees, and up to 70 could join the market when it launches.

The likes of PointsBet, Caesars Entertainment, BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel have all confirmed plans to enter the market and expand their presence in North America.

The market is projected to reach CA$1.35 billion (£730 million) in revenue. However, Nally told attendees that the market’s success won’t be measured solely by its financial results.

He said: “Our success metric will be the market’s feedback: Did players have a fun time? Was it safer? Was it responsible? If all the player safety and responsibility measures we’ve outlined are in place, that’s what will define our market’s success. The revenue will just be an added bonus.”

This article is provided by a third-party. AsiaGameHub (https://asiagamehub.com/) makes no warranties regarding its content.

AsiaGameHub delivers targeted distribution for iGaming, Casino, and eSports, connecting 3,000+ premium Asian media outlets and 80,000+ specialized influencers across ASEAN.